Thursday, May 15, 2014

Achieving Your Goals- Part 2


Continued from Part 1 - 

Often goals stop at just writing down the goal. Here is the trap a lot of my personal training clients fall into. I want to lose 20 lbs. in 4 months, now what? In order to succeed, there needs to be a plan in order; a step by step how-to. What do I need to do to make this happen? What must I NOT do in order for this to happen? Who in my life can I trust to help me and who is NOT going to aide me? The book Bring Your “A” Game does a great job of illustrating the proper way to outline a goal, as well as improving self talk and controlling controllables. Here is general outline I walk through with my clients when discussing goals prior to training. For each goal, identify positive and negative actions that will influence the outcome.

Ex. Goal: Make the high school basketball team
Why do I want to achieve this goal? I love playing basketball
When am I starting this goal? May 6th
When do I need to reach this goal? Tryouts are Nov. 1st
What actions will positively affect this goal?
1.     Take 500 shots a day
2.     Work on my ball handling everyday
3.     Improve my conditioning level
What actions will negatively affect this goal?
1.     Becoming academically ineligible
2.     Breaking the schools code of conduct
3.     Choosing to hang out with my friends before homework and practice
Who can help me achieve my goal and how?
1.     My coach can help me with my skill work
2.     My teammate Tom will help me practice.
3.     My Teacher will help me with tutoring so I can stay eligible to play.
Who is NOT going to help me and why?
1.     Some of my friends who only want to party

Be as specific with the list as possible. Refer back to the list often, especially when the journey becomes a struggle. Focus on the controllables during times of adversity. When I was a junior in high school, I had a coach tell me to think about all of my athletic goals right before I did my hardest sets in the weight room. Right when you think you have nothing left, think about where you want to get and what it is going to take to get there. I no longer train thinking about playing varsity basketball, but I still visualize where I want to be and what I need to do to get there. Instead of being inside a hot gym in the middle of summer, I’m visualizing in my car at 5 am before I coach my first group and I know I won’t be done until 7:30pm. While this article is not the end all on goal setting, use it to reevaluate your own goals, find someone to support you, and create a complete commitment to succeeding.

No comments:

Post a Comment